Every person should have a roadmap of things they want to achieve, shortterm, midterm and longterm. This is similar to a project, where proceed step by step towards those goals, a big picture.
Personal RoadmapFor juniors this is the same, but they might not have that personal big picture.
- Find out what they can and where they want to be, skill-wise
- Help them to achieve those things (obviously if the project goals allow it)
Daily workThere is quite some best practices out there - here or here - summarizing those, I want to emphasize the following ones.
- Be a mentor and do the preparation step regularly. Plan a regular meeting outside of the office, i a cafe maybe.
- Don’t touch their keyboard
- Plan their tasks with them
- Do pair programming. This is especially helpful , because to describe the next steps, they need a plan.
- Let them work alone.
- Receive their feedback and give them feedback, e.g. via code reviews
- Let them do mistakes
Encourage Knowledge Management
- Teach them how to do knowledge management
- Encourage them to write blog post that document their planned work/past work. This will help them to place their current work in their personal roadmap big picture.
- todo list